Smartline vs Grasshopper
Virtual Phone Comparisons
Launched by parent company GoDaddy in August of 2017, Smartline is a second business line application enabling small businesses to make and receive calls and text messages via a dedicated business number (local or toll free) right from their smartphone. Designed to help keep work and personal communications separate, Smartline is a mobile only solution with apps for both iOS and Android.
What is the difference between Smartline and Grasshopper?
Simply stated, Smartline is a second business line solution, while Grasshopper is a virtual phone system. Grasshopper offers more advanced call routing with department and employee extensions, custom main greetings and voicemail greetings, an administration interface, and advanced reporting.
All Smartline plans include:
- Choose a local U.S. phone number.
- Read your voicemail via automatic transcriptions.
- Set business hours for when your phone rings.
- Customizable voicemail greeting.
- Caller ID shows your business number.
How much does it cost?
- Includes 100 minutes per month*
- Send 100 and receive unlimited texts and pictures per month*
- Then $3.99/mo after. Cancel anytime.
- Includes unlimited minutes per month***
- Send and receive unlimited texts
- Then $9.99/mo after. Cancel anytime
To see Grasshopper’s most current offerings, click here.
- Get a local or toll free number, call forwarding, voicemails transcribed, unlimited extensions and more!
- Plans starting at $24/month
Why should I choose Grasshopper?
While it may appear on the surface that Grasshopper is prohibitively more expensive than Smartline, the reality is that Smartline’s unlimited plans really are not unlimited. If you dig into their terms and conditions, you will see that voice minutes are limited to 2000/month and text messages are limited to 2000 messages as well.
Additionally, if you are really looking to put forth a more professional image for your company, you’ll want to offer callers a main greeting and possibly even set up some call routing (press 1 for sales or 2 for support) to provide callers the appropriate options to address their needs.
What are others saying?
Want to see some real customer reviews? Visit the Apple Appstore or Google Play Store and read what some users have to say about the Smartline apps.