Phone.com vs Grasshopper
Virtual PBX Comparisons
Phone.com launched in 2006 as a low-cost VoIP service with the aim of creating user-friendly communications services.
Phone.com offers many products and features:
- Virtual Office
- Home Phone Service
- VoIP Phone Service
- Small Business Phone Service
- ... and more.
Virtual Office is a virtual phone system that offers customers a number which can then be forwarded to any other phone. Features include voicemail, after-hours greetings, call forwarding and more.
Home Phone Service customers can receive home phone calls through the internet with a free phone adapter. Features include voicemail, call forwarding and number porting.
Virtual Number gives customers a phone number which can then be forwarded to another number. Features include call routing, caller ID, call screening and more.
Grasshopper and Phone.com have many features in common, such as 24/7 live support, apps for both iOS and Android, business SMS, and voicemail transcription services.
Phone.com offers plans with minute-based packages starting at $12.99 and ranging to $39.99 per month (with an annual payment option) as well as unlimited plans which start at $22.99 and ranging to $27.99 per month (with an annual payment option). Note that unlimited plans do not make SMS unlimited. Each plan has a bucket of free messages available each month.
How is Grasshopper different?
Phone.com and Grasshopper offer many of the same features but there are a few key differences:
- Additional Features Phone.com offers professional voice recordings at additional costs based on usage. Costs are dependent on project and the number of scripts. Four general scripts can run $260. Voice studio, the Grasshopper professional voice recordings feature is $75 for unlimited use (no specified length of time).
- Free Month vs. 30 Day Money Back Guarantee Phone.com offers a free month of service with their virtual office plan. According to the site, this “applies to monthly fees only. One month free is subject to terms & conditions. Toll free charges and usage charges still apply.” Grasshopper currently offers customers a 30 day money back guarantee .
- Products & Plans Virtual Office is the product most similar to the Grasshopper virtual phone system. It includes many of the same features at a similar price point.
- Get a local or toll free number, call forwarding, voicemails transcribed, unlimited extensions and more!
- Plans starting at $29/month
What others are saying
Phone Support as the Entrepreneur’s Millenium Falcon
We've spent the last month surveying startups in depth about their customer support efforts, leading us to a surprising conclusion: the telephone might act for a growing young startup in the same way the Millennium Falcon did for Han Solo…
Setting up a virtual pbx with Twilio, OpenVBX and PHP Fog
We’ve been reading that adding a phone number increases conversions. When people sign up and pay us, we give them our cell phone numbers. But, we wanted to have a way for people to get in touch with us pre-sales for us to answer any questions.
How to Start a New Business on the Cheap, Part 2
Earlier this week I gave you three keys to starting a business on a tiny budget. That first post focused on planning, fundraising, and office space. Now let's look at the second half of the equation: marketing the new venture and operating it on the cheap.