There’s nothing small about small businesses — they're the backbone of the American economy. Over 99.9% of companies in the U.S. are small businesses, and 80% are sole proprietors or ‘solopreneurs’. They drive innovation, economic growth, and national prosperity.
However, solopreneurs face many unique challenges — especially regarding technology. How can you stay connected with customers while on-the-go without complex tools and equipment that cost an arm and a leg?
The good news is there's an app for that. Read on to see how you can stay on top of everything as an army of one.
Let's get onto the same page: What is a solopreneur?
A solopreneur is an individual who starts, owns, and operates their own business. They wear many hats and are often responsible for all aspects of their companies — from product or service development to marketing, to customer service and administrative tasks.
These individual operators are independent, resourceful, and self-reliant. They demonstrate tenacity and flexibility by quickly adapting to marketing changes with a can-do attitude. So, how do we help them to make their hard work pay off by leveraging the latest technology?
Top challenges faced by today's solopreneurs
To take your business to the next level, you must understand the challenges you may encounter as a solopreneur. Pay attention to them before they sneak up on you:
- You're often on-the-go: You could miss business opportunities if you rely on a traditional phone line to field customer inquiries, yet it’s important to keep your business and personal calls separate while on-the-go.
- You must project a professional image: For example, taking work calls on your personal number may impact your credibility and cause privacy issues.
- You aren't a tech expert: You can't afford to waste time wrangling with technology. Instead, you need tools that just work.
- You have to stay resilient in the face of economic headwinds: You must pay close attention to your expenses to maintain profitability when revenue fluctuates.
- Every dollar counts: You can't afford to chase bright shiny objectives. You need tools and technology that are affordable and proven to work.
- You must keep up with the big brands: Consumers expect seamless communications, and you must deliver a responsive customer experience to stay competitive.
Stay on top of your game with a virtual phone system
No magic wand will solve all the challenges, but a virtual phone system is a small hinge that moves a big door. Cloud-based technology gives you access to the latest telecommunication features without the enterprise price tag. Here are the top benefits of using a robust virtual phone system:
A virtual phone system is easy to use — you can turn any device, like a smartphone, tablet, or computer, into a softphone by installing a mobile or desktop app. You don't have to waste time and energy on clunky onboarding or cumbersome equipment installation.
Affordable price point
You don't need to invest substantially upfront to purchase hardware or licenses. Instead, you can access the tools you need when you need them with a low monthly fee. Meanwhile, your provider is responsible for maintenance tasks, so you don't have to shoulder the expenses.
A professional image
A virtual phone system allows you to manage calls to your company number on your personal devices while keeping your business and personal life separate. You can juggle sales, customer service, administrative tasks, and more all in one place without losing your cool.
Access to new features
Access to upgrades and new features is part of your subscription plan. You can deliver a modern customer experience, meet consumer expectations, and stay competitive without paying for expensive equipment or software upgrades.
Grasshopper's virtual phone system keeps solopreneurs connected
Grasshopper's True Solo package is designed for today's solopreneurs. It's easy to set up and simple to use — it just works. Our purposeful features and streamlined onboarding flow allow you to reap the benefits of a virtual phone system from day one.
- Access your phone system and manage your calls from anywhere with our desktop and mobile apps. You can make and receive VoIP calls, view voicemails, and see your call history all in one place.
- Respond to missed calls immediately with instant response — the caller gets a text message and can respond with their call-back details to help you capture every opportunity.
- Provide customer updates, confirm appointments, and reply to inquiries using the same recognizable number you take business calls on with the business SMS feature.
- Redirect incoming calls to any phone number, service, or voicemail box with our call forwarding (or call transfer) function to ensure you don't miss a beat.
- Convert your voicemails to text and read them on your computer or smartphone with our voicemail transcription service to stay in the loop even when you can't listen to the recording.
- Handle inbound calls with our virtual assistant feature to project a professional image without the high cost of hiring a receptionist.
At Grasshopper, we believe solopreneurs and small businesses play a critical role in our economy and society. We're proud to provide the latest technology purpose-built for your needs to help you grow your business without the high price tag or complex tech stack. Learn more about our plans and get your virtual phone number today.