Skype vs Grasshopper
Virtual PBX Comparisons
Skype vs Grasshopper
Skype is a software application that allows users to make calls over the internet via their computer. It’s popular for those who need to connect abroad, and has instant messaging, file transfers, SMS, video conferencing, and more.
Skype also offers calls to landlines and mobile phones for a fee and mobile apps for those wanting to use Skype on the go. Skype has four plans to satisfy different needs. With a focus on making outbound calls, Skype is a pretty different service than Grasshopper. Often, the two are used together.
What plans does Skype offer?
Skype offers a free plan, as well as the options to pay as you go, pay by the month, or pay for the year. Opting for monthly or yearly payments gives a substantial discount.
Skype’s Free plan includes
- Skype-to-Skype calls
- one-to-one video calls
- and screen sharing.
The paid plans offer more diverse options:
- outbound calling to mobile phones and land lines.
- call forwarding
- group video chat
- live support
What’s the difference between Skype and Grasshopper?
- Inbound vs Outbound Calling Skype is great for outbound calling while Grasshopper focuses on inbound calls. Skype can help a company save money on outbound calls, especially on international calls. Grasshopper focuses on giving businesses the ability to sound professional when taking inbound calls from prospective or current customers.
- VoIP-based While Skype is internet-based (VOIP), Grasshopper is based on actual phone networks. VoIP requires you to have a strong internet connection to use the phone service.
- Phone numbers Skype currently offers SkypeIn numbers, allowing you to get inbound calls through Skype. SkypeIn numbers are local numbers and include voicemail and call forwarding. Grasshopper allows you to have toll free or local numbers for your business and includes features like auto-attendant, voicemail extensions, after-hours settings and more.
Using Skype With Grasshopper
Because Skype and Grasshopper have such diverse features, they can be used together to create a great small business phone system. You can combine Grasshopper and Skype for both inbound and outbound calling.
- To use Skype for inbound calling, you can forward your Grasshopper number to your SkypeIn number.
- To make outbound calls, you can dial out with your Skype account directly (caller ID will show your Skype number) or forward Skype to your Grasshopper number, where you can make outbound calls that show your Grasshopper number.
Using Skype with Grasshopper
- Get a local or toll free number, call forwarding, voicemails transcribed, unlimited extensions and more!
- Plans starting at $12/month