1 in 5 Workers Worldwide Telecommute. Are You the One?by Grasshopper Team Published in Virtual Office on
A new poll by Ipsos/Reuters says that one in five workers around the globe telecommutes. Even more impressive, 10% work from home every day. That’s a lot of people working away from the office!
Here are some stats from the study:
- 50% of workers in India were likely to work from home vs. less than 10% in Canada or Italy
- 34% of workers said they would be very likely to telecommute on a full-time basis if they could
- 21% of people globally said it wasn’t possible to work from home as their job requires them to be in the office
- 65% felt that telecommuting allowed them to be more productive
- 62% of people said they found working from home socially isolating
As you can see by the study, working from home is certainly on the rise but there are some mixed emotions from people. Is it beneficial to the company? How does it affect your performance?
We’ve touched on what it takes to be able to work from home and TechCrunch offers a good piece of insight on the study noting, “new services over the next few years will have to focus on repairing the natural loss that occurs when your employees are never physically near each other.”
It’ll definitely be interesting to see how telecommuting evolves over the next 10 years and what virtual tools come out to make it easier. Where do you see it going?